Monday, March 12, 2007

Moving Day

I'm so worn out my eyebrows hurt.

Around The Water Cooler:
New Coworker: She has all these stupid little catch phrases.
Tink: Doesn't everybody?
New Coworker: I don't. Do you?
Tink: Yeah!
New Coworker: What are they?
Tink: "I ate it" and "I sold him to gypsies."
New Coworker: WHAT?
Tink: You know. As in, "Where's my pen?" "I ate it." "Where's the toner?" "I ate it." "Where's Bob?" "I sold him to gypsies."
New Coworker: ...
Tink: You're not a gypsy are you?
New Coworker: *Hangs up phone*

Weekend Recap:
1. As much as I love Hoop's brother, I knew his arrival into town would complicate things. Hoop has a tendency of abandoning all else when Nash is around.
2. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, when things are normal.
3. When things are chaotic and we're preparing for a big move, it can be irksome.
4. Friday night Hoop and I got into it. He wanted to go out drinking with his brother. I felt we needed to pack for the next day's move.
5. I hate being the bad guy.
6. Of course we ended up packing. But it was a hollow victory. He blamed me for everything and then called me "defensive." I implied he was immature and then pulled the "you can always leave" card.
7. If only we had stopped and listened to what we were saying, we might have seen the humor in it. But we didn't.
8. I can see it now, fortunately.
9. Saturday morning Hoop, Nash, and I rented a Uhaul and went to work picking up our things...
10. ...which were stashed in three separate locations about 30 miles from each other.
11. Fucking brilliant. Uhaul makes you pay by the MILE.
12. In the end, what had taken Hoop and I weeks to accomplish was quickly undone in a matter of a day. Crazy how that works.
13. Nine hours, 143 miles, and $200 later we dropped the Uhaul off at the lot.
14. As we were walking past the trailers on the way out, a door to one suddenly opened...
15. ...and out popped the owner, who was very clearly piss-ass drunk.
16. We stood staring for a minute, stunned. "Can I help you?" The man growled, swaying on his feet. He looked like he might charge at any second. Nash waved the key in the air. "We're just dropping this off."
17. The guy seemed surprised, like he'd forgotten he owned the place. "OH. OK. Thank you!" Then he disappeared again, back into the Uhaul trailer.
Nash: Was that guy-
Tink: -hiding out in the trailer?
Nash: Yeah!
Tink: He sure was.
Hoop: Nobody is going to believe this.
18. That night we went out drinking at our favorite local bar. We managed to find half a free table, a lucky sign on a busy night.
19. The couple on the other side struck up a conversation instantly. The girl was beautiful. Painfully so.
20. Surprisingly, her boyfriend didn't seem to notice (or care). He looked bored.
21. It wasn't until she started talking that I understood why. Ten minutes into her monologue my eyes glossed over.
22. "Cutting hair is a whole lot harder than it sounds. It helps to have a background in sociology and psychology. That's my brother over there. Do you like his dreads? I was so mad when he started them. After all those expensive hair products I stole for him. But I love him! *Eyes start watering* We've never been apart and now he's leaving me. We're like twins. Only 15 months apart. I'd move but my career is really starting to take off."
23. She continued like that for 40 minutes. At one point I actually poked myself in the eye for a distraction.
24. She didn't even notice.
25. Sunday morning the boys and I parted ways. I went to pick up the dogs. They went to pick up a TV and order our couch.
26. Rule number 1. Don't ever let the boys go shopping for electronics alone again. They'll come home with a $3,000 tv.
27. Rule number 2. When faced with the tv of their dreams, boys will be unable to think of anything else. Even if their girl is starving and waiting at the restaurant next to the theater with only 45 minutes before the movie starts.
28. It really is a nice TV though.
29. And
300 was an amazing movie! The violence reminded me of Braveheart but with nudity and better special effects. Definitely not one to miss. But leave the kiddos at home.

Courtesy of
Odd Mix


Gracious
Steadfast


I was too busy loading a bunch of crap I didn't remember owning into a Uhaul. Funny how four months of being separated from your stuff makes you forget. Anyway... How did you play?

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

At 12 March, 2007, Blogger Mike said...

Wow. Your move sure was a lot more interesting than ours. Except for the beutiful-but-vapid girlfriend. And we did get off on the wrong foot with our neighbor across the street, who went positively ballistic when the moves drove over one corner of her lawn with their truck.

Time to relax and enjoy yet?

 
At 12 March, 2007, Blogger Foo said...

Sounds like something that would happen to me (dork!).

My favorite stupid catch phrase is "I'd rather be set on fire and beaten out with a rake." As in...

Turtle: Would you like to come to the grocery with me?

Foo: I'd rather be set on fire and beaten out with a rake. (But I'll do it anyway, because I love you.)

 
At 12 March, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That pretty much describes the attitude of most guys I know, Tink (including me): happy as a clam with $20 worth of furniture, and $5,000 worth of audio-visual equipment. That's why you can still buy bean bag chairs. :)

 
At 12 March, 2007, Blogger Mouse said...

Everyones reviews of '300' on blogs has really made it impossible to wait until it comes out on DVD. The previews had me at Gerard Butler wearing a loin-cloth and carrying a sword... hee hee.

 
At 12 March, 2007, Blogger Spenser said...

Makes my weekend look like a walk in the park. I love the convo at the beginning. I actually 'Lauphed out loud.' I'm sure everyone in the the classroom thinks highly of me now..

 
At 12 March, 2007, Blogger Jay said...

I've found that adding "in my pants" to most everything works pretty well for a catch phrase.

So does the guy who owns the U-Haul place LIVE in that trailer or was just in there having a meeting with one of his female employees.

I think we need a picture of the new tv. Just to make me jealous.

I was going to wait for 300 to come out on DVD but I don't think I can. I also don't have a big fancy schmancy tv to watch it on. ;-)

 
At 12 March, 2007, Blogger Pamer said...

i also saw, and LOVED, 300 this weekend, however I told all my friends to make sure they bring all their male children because every male must witness it...

SPARTANS!!!!!!

 
At 12 March, 2007, Blogger graymama said...

graymama and Hubby catch phrases: "at the Y," "up your butt," and "poop."

as in...

graymama: Where do you want to eat?
Hubby: at the Y

H: Where's the phone/remote?
g: up your butt

and "poop" is the response to just about anything

"What are you reading?"
"What are you eating?"
etc...

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Could the U-Haul owner be convinced that he owes YOU $200?!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fortunately, Hubby would never buy a $3000 television. He would rather use that money to buy a new Gibson guitar, an amp the size of a piece of furniture and death metal distortion pedals :-P

 
At 12 March, 2007, Blogger Lucia said...

You'll have to see when you get things moved in how much you ate and how much your sold to the gypsies.

Here's a little sympathy to your eyebrows...

 
At 12 March, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! I know what you mean. I haven't seen over half of my belongings in 8 months. It's going to be like Chrismas morning this weekend when we start unpacking boxes from the storage unit!

 
At 12 March, 2007, Blogger Ellie said...

That sucks about the $200! But at least no one ripped off the apron at the gas pump, my friend's husband did that after carrying on about how big a rip off getting their insurance is. I'm guessing he'll get the insurance next time.
Glad to hear your all moved in.

 
At 12 March, 2007, Blogger gawilli said...

Willi and I still have boxes that are unpacked from his move here ten years ago. Then again his idea of packing was, "We can do it in the morning." Then it turned into, "Well it will fit in the back of the truck like it is." I think it's a man thing.

 
At 13 March, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the end, what had taken Hoop and I weeks to accomplish was quickly undone in a matter of a day. Crazy how that works.

If this really amazes you then you are so ready for children! They can rip a house up just by setting foot in the door!!!

 
At 13 March, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My oldest son wants desperately to see 300. I saw "Zodiac" and loved it...although I was tempted to pee in my pants from abject fright. Yeah...that too.

 
At 13 March, 2007, Blogger fiwa said...

Huh, blogger ate my comment.
I just wanted to say, congratulations on being one step closer to finishing off this whole moving/settling in process. I hate moving, but the bright side is, for about 2 weeks after you unpack you know where everything is!

300 sounds good - I can't wait to go see it.

 
At 13 March, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

300 was a really good movie! Still trying to figure out how much of those washboard abs were real and how much of them were computer animated. But in the end, does that really matter?

Glad to hear things are finally coming to a close with the house! Also hope you enjoy that tv ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home