Monday, July 16, 2007

Another Day In The Bloggerhood

Weekend Recap:
1. On Friday night I made an eighteen year old cry.
2. When I woke up Saturday morning, she'd left me an apology scribbled on a napkin.
3. It all started after work. If you remember, I'd been having a pretty shitty day.
4. I met up with Hoop and Nash at their Mom's house for dinner. Then I headed home. Hoop called an hour later to say that Nash, Bob, Bob's girlfriend, Bob's girlfriend's friend, and he were coming home.
5. I had just slipped into PJs and washed my face. You can guess how enthusiastic I was for company.
6. I knew when they arrived that I didn't care for Bob's girlfriend's friend. We'll call her Mandy. She was loud and immature from the start. Every other world out of her mouth was "fuck."
7. "So I fucking called that fucking bitch and I fucking told her fuck-ass that I wasn't fucking her fucking boyfriend."
8. When she wasn't putting sailors to shame, she was engaging us in deep conversations about politics.
9. "I used to LOVE Bush before this war 'thing'. Now I'm all like, he can fucking go away now."
10. I was doing fairly well at ignoring her. Then it started to get late. By 2:30 am I was tired and ready for everyone to go home.
11. Then I noticed the white living room carpet. There were PUDDLES of beer on it.
12. The puddles didn't bother me as much as the fact that someone had spilled their drink THREE times and didn't tell anyone.
13. I was sopping up the mess when Mandy decided to spill an entire bottle of beer on the brand new couch. The first words out of her mouth were, "I didn't do it!"
13. My host gloves came off.
14. Visions of the night flashed through my head as I stormed to the kitchen for some cleaner.
15. I replayed when Bob's girlfriend stepped on our couch with her shoes, Bob trying to egg our dog into biting him, the beer on the carpet and couch, the bugs flying around because of the door no one seemed able to close.
16. Hoop came in and I handed him a towel. "Fix this. I'm going to bed," I growled.
17. Our guests didn't leave until 5:00 am. I fumed in my bedroom as they laughed and yelled, apparently trying to sober up enough to leave. I felt like a prisoner in my own house. I snapped.
18. When I walked out of the room everyone got quiet. "Use this," I said to Hoop, handing him another cleaning product. "Give me some skin!" Nash shouted cheerfully, putting his hand out. "NO." I snipped, going back into the room.
19. That's when Mandy started crying.
20. It's the least she could do.
21. It wasn't until the next day that I found out she was eighteen. Which might explain the complete lack of respect. But it doesn't make it excusable. I've become one of those people who uses the term, "Stupid kids."
22. I'm going to start having to check IDs at my door.
23. Thursday night, Hoop and I saw
"Harry Potter 5"
24. REVIEW: I'm a little jaded by the books. Because of this, no Harry Potter movie has ever stood up to my expectations. But as far as the HP movies go, it was good. The computer graphics weren't obvious, as they'd been in the first three. I thought the girl they chose for Luna Lovegood was PERFECT. The main flaw in the movie was the age of the characters compared to the age of the actors. Harry, Hermione, and Ron are supposed to be 15 in this film. In real life they're 18, 17, and 19. It shows. There was one part in particular where Professor Mcgonagle exclaims, "But he's just a boy!" about Harry. I couldn't help but think, "That's no BOY, lady." We give this film three out of five sporks.

Daily Hoop Conversation:
(At a pearl shop)
Hoop: What is that?
Clerk: It's called a
"Mabe Pearl." They inject an irritant into the oyster shell and it creates a pearl under the surface.
Hoop: Then they just cut it out of the shell?
Clerk: Exactly.
Hoop: So... It's an oyster cancer?
Clerk: Um. That's a rather unpleasant way of describing it!
Hoop: Gross! Who would want to wear a tumor around their neck?

Not Far From The Tree:
Nash: I finally finished
"Resistance."
Hoop: Wow, and it only took you three days of continuous play.
Tink: Can we go down town now?
Nash: Aren't you guys impressed?!
Tink: Oh yeah... I think you should put it on your résumé.
Hoop: BURN!
Nash: Maybe I will.

Labels: , ,

27 Comments:

At 16 July, 2007, Blogger fiwa said...

Oh mygod. I would have been LIVID if that had happened to me. I don't care how young she was, she should have known better than to treat your house and your things so disrespectfully. We have a rule that you have to check with the other person before saying "come on over" to ANYONE. Cuz let's face it, sometimes ya just don't feel like it.

Hope your week gets better.
fiwa

 
At 16 July, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh Tink, it sounds like you're getting OLD!

P.S., what did you mean by sliding glass door?

 
At 16 July, 2007, Blogger Jay said...

I would have not been very nice with that chick. Wait .... Was she hot? Oh never mind. No excuse for that. She needs to be taught manners. By the time somebody is 18 they should be able to control themselves in another person's house.

 
At 16 July, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have made her cry too! She sounds horrible.

And I don't think age has too much to do with it. It explains some of her behaviour but I've known 40 year olds who act like this and I've known 15 year olds with more respect.

It's all about MATURITY -- or in her case, lack thereof.

 
At 16 July, 2007, Blogger Chris said...

I would've chucked their sorry asses out into the street. You're too nice. :)

 
At 16 July, 2007, Blogger Tink said...

Fiwa: I'm thinking about starting a screening process. Maybe a survey. "Have you spilled beer on someone else's furniture in the last year? Check yes or no."

Mamalujo: I just reread my comment on your last post. Even I had to say, "WTF?" I swear I wasn't high. What I meant, if I'd taken the time to elaborate more, is that the situation reminded me of that movie "Sliding Doors." There's this moment where you wonder what would have happened if she'd only looked up and acknowledged you.

Spamboy: *Marks Spamboy off the "safe" list* ;)

Jay: She was pretty in a very ugly way. How's that for convoluted? Hehe.

Michelle: That's kind of what I thought too. I would have NEVER behaved that way at her age. My 14 year old brother has more manners.

Chris: I know. I'm practicing on it. Baby steps.

 
At 16 July, 2007, Blogger Jay said...

Why was Chelle looking at me when she made that remark about immature 40 year olds??? hehe

Anyway I had to come cause I forgot something.

You're not officially old until you yell at a bunch of kids to "GET OFF MY LAWN!" So, you're still okay, but watch out for that.

 
At 16 July, 2007, Blogger Lynnea said...

If she wants to be a grown up and drink she needs to learn to respect people's homes like a grown up. Or, like an eighteen year old who was raised right for that matter.

I see you changed your movie reviews from thumbs up/down to sporks - excellent move. I haven't seen the movie, but I got the same impression looking at the previews - the kids aren't kids anymore and it looks odd.

 
At 16 July, 2007, Blogger meno said...

I'm thinking you might need to have a few words with Hoop about the sanctity of your home. YOUR home, BOTH of you. It's not a flophouse for wayward ill-mannered 18 year olds.

 
At 16 July, 2007, Blogger Newt said...

Yay! Spork movie ratings. It's not over kill, it fits! Honest. I loves it. Goes with the theme and all.

And I woulda killed her. And been the raving B&*%$ that said "Get the F%$#* out NOW! NOW! OUT! So, you handled it WAY better than I would have.

 
At 16 July, 2007, Blogger Molly said...

Oh Tink, are you officially old? No, probably not, I do not know many 18 olds that behave this badly, but at least she apologized. Hopefully, that means that she will work on changing her rotten behavior.

 
At 16 July, 2007, Blogger Tawcan said...

Ya definitely sounds like an 18 year old. Spilling beer on the carpet multiple times and not telling the host about it? Seriously what's wrong with these ppl? Learn to have a bit of decency and respect to your host. It's not your freaking house.

If I were you I would of kicked them out when I found out about spilling beer on the carpet.

 
At 16 July, 2007, Blogger mitchgib said...

I have an almost 18yr old son, and in spite of my attention to manners since he could talk-he is a huge disgusting slob. I shudder to think of what he is like when he is at other peoples houses !
When we have "guests" that don't leave, I excuse myself, go to bed, and put in the earplugs. My husband could stay up all night talking. I hate talking to drunk people, especially if I am sober and in my pj's !

 
At 16 July, 2007, Blogger Chelle Y. said...

Yeah, HP is no boy anymore! Haha!

You know, the first four HP's, I saw the movie before I read the books. This time, I thought it would be fun to do the opposite. Bad mistake. I enjoyed the movie, but I kept thinking, "They forgot to add this part..."

Oh, well, I still enjoyed it! You're right about Luna, she was great and just what I pictured!

 
At 16 July, 2007, Blogger Jay said...

Yuck, you were still more tolerant than I could have been!

 
At 16 July, 2007, Blogger Peevish said...

You were FAR more tolerant and patient than I would have been! That's just inexcusable, and you would have been well within your rights to throw the lot of them out at 12am, 1am or 2am.

 
At 16 July, 2007, Blogger Jen said...

As Mel Brooks once said, "Sometimes it's good to be king." Or an old lady. . . .

P.S. That girl is lucky she left with her face in tact so she could still cry. And, what was she crying over anyway? It was your home - not hers. I'm confused. I mean, someone was teasing your dogs - which is just awful & cruel. The same beer swilling. . . errr. . .spilling, shaming sailors girl stepped on your couch and no one could close the door(s). What was she crying over? Really. I'd like to know.

 
At 16 July, 2007, Blogger Katie said...

I like the new spork movie rating system! More precise than thumbs.

 
At 16 July, 2007, Blogger Alex said...

Oh HELL no. No way, no how, not in my house. That's what I woulda told Hoop on the phone.

Oh girl, I have so been there and done that. I feel your pain and I want to beat down those people for you.

 
At 16 July, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, this sounds familiar to me too. I think Meno has the right idea here.

 
At 17 July, 2007, Blogger Me said...

It's the least she could do.

I lol'd.

 
At 17 July, 2007, Blogger mrspao said...

Cripes - you were definitely much more tolerant than I am. She was just incredibly rude and disrespectful. HUG x

 
At 17 July, 2007, Blogger Cat Herder said...

I'm not sure if I'd be more upset about the wet carpet or the wasted beer. And that probably says something about my day...

 
At 17 July, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't care if I make 18 yo's cry. Most of them should feel like crap now and then.

We Saw HP 5 last night. Ya know, if you don't read the books, you're going to be lost in the movie. And if you read the books you're going to be disappointed at all the detail they had to leave out.
Tink, ... ( pause ) there just wasn't enough Tonks.

~Jef

 
At 17 July, 2007, Blogger amusing said...

Egads! What a horror show.

(oh, and I got your "sliding door" comment...)

 
At 17 July, 2007, Blogger mamatulip said...

Damn girl, patience is a virtue you definitely have. I would have DECKED that girl way earlier in the evening!

 
At 18 July, 2007, Blogger Freakazojd said...

Dude, you were SO much nicer than I would have been. How frustrating!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home